Thursday, March 11, 2010

Disney Princesses, the Lucky Ones


The above flower represents the love and support of my family. You see, I ran in the Disney Princess Half Marathon this past weekend. Six months ago I couldn't run more than a 5K. Sunday, I ran 13.1 miles. And, I couldn't have done it without the support of my husband, children and parents.

Without my family, I wouldn't have had the hours that I needed to train for this run. E watched and fed the kids while I ran. And on my long runs, he piled the kids into the van and met me half way with a bottle of water so that I wouldn't get dehydrated. Most importantly, he provided inspiration and listened to me babble incessantly about times and fuel and mileage and shoes and gear and...well, everything else that has to do with running. And he hates running. That would be like me listening to him babble on about selling insurance. Which he does.

My parents, E and the kids all trekked up to Disney with me on Saturday. They ate what I wanted to eat (gotta fuel the body, remember?) and walked and played around Magic Kingdom. Ray and Chay slept in Nana and Papa's room so that I could get a good night's sleep, which was only up until wake up time at 3 am.

At the end of the race, Ray and Chay presented me with pink roses. How sweet! And then, Ray immediately asked for one back. Which I was all the more happy to give her, just because it made her happy.

So, yes, I ran 13.1 miles. I am proud of myself. I worked hard to make, and then beat, my goal, which was originally just to finish. My time was beyond what I thought I could do. But without my family's support I couldn't have done any of it. And for that, I am a true winner.

Me and My Beautiful Princess


No comments: