Thursday, April 24, 2014

ADHD with a Side of Reading Learning Disability


Have I told you how much I worry about you? Because I do. But we will get you help. And then you will be brave and smart and strong and become whatever it is your heart dreams of, whether it be an engineer or a puppy groomer. Sorry, I won't let you become a professional Lego Star Wars gamer. No matter how much you beg.

You have been diagnosed with ADHD with a side of reading learning disability. I am struggling with how best to help you. The transition won't be easy. It will take trials with meds, tutoring, special classes with some hopefully great teachers. And if they aren't great, I will find you great ones. I promise.

I didn't know how to tell you we were taking you to get tested for whatever was holding you back in school with reading and writing. So I told you we were taking you to see a doctor who would help you read better. You said, "Good. Because I am behind in school." You even knew. I wish you could have told me how much trouble you were having.

When I told you we were going to see the pediatrician about getting medicine that will help you learn better, you said, "There's a medicine for that? I've never heard of such a thing!" Then shrugged and said, "That's cool."

You have made so much progress this year in every area, even reading, despite your struggles. We will get you help. I promise. And, about that busted lip? It wasn't your first fall and won't be the last. Those battle scars will only make you stronger and help you fight through this new fight. 

I love you, Buddy. You are my rock star.

No comments: